Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hello Officer

Hey Everyone,

Yesterday was my day off from work. Emma needed some diapers so April and I headed out to Target to pick up some diapers and a few other things. I was coming down one of our roads here in Pearland when the long arm of the law noticed I was doing 42 in a 30. The officer came to my window and I gave him my driver's licence and insurance information and awaited my forthcoming ticket. The officer took my information back to the car and upon his return he informed me he was low on tickets and that he was only going to give me a verbal warning. I thanked the officer and I went on my way. That officer showed me grace.

Grace is one of those things we don't talk about very much. We recognize that grace is mentioned in the Bible (124 times in the NIV), we sometimes mention it in a prayer and when we teach we read the word in scripture, but, we don't really do a good job teaching about grace.

I am a pretty simple guy and when I want to know more about a word I go to the dictionary. One of the definitions of Grace is as follows:

Grace-"The freely given, unmerited favor and love of God"

I like that definition but I really like what scripture has to say better...

Hebrews 2:9 (NIV)
But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with the glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

I can't really define grace much better than that. Jesus Christ who was without sin came to this earth and lived as a man and died on a cross so I wouldn't have to. I don't encourage speeding but I am thankful for the lesson about grace the officer taught me yesterday. I encourage you to teach someone about grace today. When you have the chance to take on something so someone else will not do it and experience what it feels like to give grace to someone else. I believe by doing so you might be able to better understand how God can give us grace. I hope I have been as much of a blessing to you today as all of you have been to me.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: