Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I wish I could study the Bible like you Earl

Good Morning Everyone,

If you have been around me any length of time you know that I can't go very long without mentioning my Pap-paw(known to grownups as Earl Milner). If you come into my office you will see a black and white picture of my Pap-paw I know that he has gone to be with God and is in no more pain but I like to look at his picture and imagine he is watching over me. Pap-paw was a good man, an elder in his church and a devoted husband, father and grandfather.

Pap-paw loved to read his Bible. If he was not out chasing cows, cooking something good in his kitchen or doing the Lord's work he could be found reading his Bible. It was not unusual for Pap-paw to read his Bible all the way through in the course of one year and sometimes several times a year. There was a lady at Pap-paw's congregation who wanted to learn to study the Bible like Pap-paw. He told her "It's really easy, sit down with your Bible and read until you get tired." Pap-paw's words were as true then as they are now.

I know in the fast paced world we live in we often times forget to spend time in the word. As families grow father and farther apart I believe that a more intense study of the scripture to be a much needed thing. To that end I want to share a resource with all of you today.

Four youth ministers whom I hold in the highest respect have taken it upon themselves to make the Internet a tool for ministry. Their vision came to fruition last year with the launching of a the website Striving To Be Real . Striving To Be Real has a teen section with a lot of great things for teenagers as well as a parent's section that gives resources to parents. In the parent's site there is a new family Bible Study that will be updated on a regular basis and available to be used by families to study the Bible.

I still agree with Pap-paw's words of wisdom and even though he did not know how to use a computer I know that even he would agree that this resource is one that could help families. Let's reclaim our families for the cause of Jesus Christ and let's be real. Be blessed today.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: