Monday, April 28, 2008

Don't Leave Behind The Important Stuff

Hello Everyone,

Well here I sit in the last week of April and my mind is spinning with ideas about all the things I have to do in the coming weeks. At the top of my list is packing up our apartment. It is hard to believe that next month that this apartment will have been my home for a year. As we begin the packing process we are prioritizing what to keep and what to throw away. When I got married I was a HUGE pack rat. Marriage has been good for me for several reasons but close to the top of the list is that I have stopped being such a pack rat. I am of the opinion if we have not used something for a year that it is time to get rid of it. Along with all this prioritizing I have to remember that some times you have to keep things you don't use very often because they are important.

I think there are important things that we sometimes take for granted. The other day I was coming home from going to the store and I noticed my Bible was in the back seat of our car. In that moment I had the thought that I should bring my Bible in but my hands were full of groceries so I said I would go get it later. I didn't go back to the car until the next day and I noticed my Bible still sitting in the back seat. The really bad thing is that I knew where my Bible was I just chose to be lazy and leave my Bible in the car. What is worse than that is that I fooled myself into thinking I would go right back out and get it.

All of this got me to thinking about not leaving behind important stuff. The Psalmist said "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" Psalm 119:105. What I did by leaving my Bible in my car is the equivalent of going outside at night without a flash light. So after I realized what I had been doing I began making a conscious effort to not leave my Bible in the car.

What happened next was AMAZING!!!! I started reading my Bible more. Our theme for Camp Bandina this year centers around the Minor Prophets. I am not sure when the last time you read the minor prophets was but if it has been awhile then I would suggest giving them a look. I want to end my thoughts tonight with a question that occurred to me after leaving my Bible in the car. What if God had decided to just leave us someplace? What if instead of sending his Son to die for us he simply forgot about us? It's a pretty scary thought when you get right down to it.

I challenge you to stop leaving your Bible in your car, on a pew or in a classroom. Bring it into your home open it up and allow God to have the proper place in your life he deserves. I hope you are blessed for reading this.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: