Friday, August 5, 2011

Anchor Points

Good Evening Everyone,

I know I usually try to write articles on this blog that are purely religious in nature but tonight I thought I would try something a little different. While there will be a religious spin on this article my hope is to , as my good friend Troy Albers would say, wax philosophical. So that being said sit back and enjoy.

When I was in the 11th grade I was offered a position singing with the chamber choir at my high school. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement! I spent the next two years learning how to sing and making a lot of friendships. I think back on this and at that time of my life it was a turning point. Learning to sing in an ensemble teaches you a lot about what life is all about. You learn all about teamwork, camaraderie, and relying on the people you work with.

While joining the chamber choir was a turning point in my life as a junior in high school it now serves as an anchor point in my life. I believe we all have these anchor points in our lives that help make us the people we are today. These anchor points take different forms for different people. For some people it might be a place, or a sight or even a smell. For me the anchor point of my chamber choir experience is in the form of the song "That Lonesome Road" by James Taylor. This was the first song we learned in our group and the words have always stuck with me. Take a look and see for yourself what they say.

"That Lonesome Road" by James Taylor

Walk down that lonesome road all by yourself
Don't turn your head back over your shoulder
And only stop to rest yourself when the silver moon
Is shining high above the trees
If I had stopped to listen once or twice
If I had closed my mouth and opened my eyes
If I had cooled my head and warmed my heart
I'd not be on this road tonight
Carry on
Never mind feeling sorry for yourself
It doesn't save you from your troubled mind
Walk down that lonesome road all by yourself
Don't turn your head back over your shoulder
And only stop to rest yourself when the silver moon
Is shining high above the trees

Like I said, I love this song, I often times find myself humming or singing this song to myself. The song serves as a reminder of what your life can be like if you don't slow down and think about your actions and that ultimately you may find yourself walking down a lonesome road if you don't.

This song anchors me because I know I don't have to walk down a lonesome road. I have a heavenly father that never leaves my side. I have a family that loves and cares about me and eleven months ago today we added our little Emma to our walk down life's road.

I don't know what your anchor points are in your life but I hope that you're not making decisions that will force you to walk down a lonesome road all by yourself. What are your anchor points? I'd love to hear what helps keep you grounded and what helps to make you the person you are today. I hope you are blessed today.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

p.s. Here is a really cool video of James Taylor singing this song I hope you enjoy it

No comments: