Monday, August 29, 2011

Benin West Africa

Good Evening Everyone,

Tonight I spent several hours listening to a man named George Akpabli. George is a preacher in Benin West Africa, but more than that, George is equipping men to preach the Gospel. George is one of the missionaries we support here in Pearland and tonight was the first time I had really had the opportunity to sit and visit with him.

As I sat and listened to George talk about what these men have to go through just to be able to preach the Gospel I became very aware of how blessed I really am. These men study for three years to receive their training. In the time they are studying they leave their families and live onsite at the school in Benin. After three years of being away from their families they then go out to preach the Gospel with no promise of any support financially. Thanks to the school in Benin they learn some farming skills and many of them raise a crop to help support themselves. These men will never preach in a congregation with a nice building, most of them are lucky to have a roof over their heads, and their support will more than likely always be dependent on what they can do but these men are happy.

I think about all of this as I sit in my air-conditioned office situated in our comfortable building. I know that I will not have to go out and work in a garden so I can feed my family, in fact, I don’t even have to go to the bank thanks to the blessing of direct deposit and yet I still find ways to complain. I was humbled tonight and I hope that I can learn to be happy with what I have and be thankful for all of God’s blessings. I hope that you may read this and examine how you look at life. Maybe we could all use a little time in the garden.

Be Strong and Courageous,

Paul

No comments: