Monday, August 23, 2010

God Never Asks Us To Give More Than We Have

Good Morning Everyone,

When was the last time you took a look at Acts Chapter 3:1-10? Acts 3:1-10 tells the story of Peter and John healing a crippled beggar. My favorite part of the story is the statement that Peter makes in Acts 3:6...

"The Peter said 'Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give to you.'" Acts 3:6a

The reason I enjoy this part of the story so much is because Peter gave all that he had to this man. Peter did not have worldly riches or fame but he did have the gift of healing from God. Peter used his gift from God and gave all he had to this man. Peter demonstrates to us an extremely Biblical point, the point is that God will never ask us to give more than we have.

All too often in my work I hear Christians say that they cannot help do something for one reason or another. Maybe their house isn't big enough to have people over, maybe they are not talented enough to teach a Bible class or maybe they feel they don't have enough money to give in the weekly collection. I believe that God never asks us give more than we have. Let me share two places where I believe this point is true.

The first one is teaching. I hear people say all of the time that they are not good teachers. God doesn't ask for us to be the most eloquent or inventive teacher, he simply calls on us to teach. You can teach in so many different ways. Find the way you are most comfortable with and give that back to God.

The second area is giving. I know economic times are difficult but that doesn't mean that God wants us to stop giving to his Church. The money that you put into the plate every week supports the work of the congregation you attend. More than that, think of the example you set for your children every week. What does it teach them when you begin to stop contributing? Once again, God doesn't ask you to give more than you have, what he does ask is that you give out of your income.

I hope that you will think about what God wants you to give and the best way you can give it. There is room for everyone in Christianity. There is a place for you in the Kingdom. God wants you to give but not more than you have. I hope you are blessed today because of these words.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: