Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hospitality

Hey Everyone,

Remember when you were growing up and you were always over at your friend's house? For me it was my friend David. We were always in each other's homes. Whether it was playing video games, a game of catch or using the pool we were always together. We didn't know it at the time but we were practicing hospitality. Just this evening we were blessed to go to the home of our friend's Kevin and Laura Odom to help them celebrate a birthday for one of their children. The world would probably be a better place if more people practiced hospitality.

It seems, like so many things, that hospitality is one of those things you do when you are younger but as you get older you begin to do less and less. Maybe it is because we work too much, or because we are overly committed in some other aspect of our lives or maybe we just don't feel like inviting anyone over. For whatever reason it seems that we are in each other's homes less and less.

As I think about hospitality I think about the Biblical character of Lydia (if you would like to learn more about her click on her name). Lydia was a convert to Christianity who dealt in purple fabric. In the First Century if you were a dealer of purple fabric then that meant you were pretty well off. Lydia was very hospitable. She invited Paul, Timothy and Silas into her home only after knowing them a very short time. She shared what God had blessed her with for the glory of God, and that is the real lesson for us.

Think of the people you work and worship with. You see them quite often, but, when was the last time you invited them to your home for a meal? I am convicted that I need to be more hospitable in my own life and I hope that maybe you are thinking the same way. Let's share what God has blessed us with to bless others. I hope you are all as blessed for reading this blog as I am for knowing all of you!!

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: