Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Doing Something Good Without Realizing It

Doing Something Good Without Realizing It

Good Morning Everyone,

When I was 17 years old my Mom who suffers with Multiple Sclerosis, my Dad and I all decided to make a trip out to the farm. Most of the time Mom lived a pretty normal life but on this particular trip to the farm Mom was recovering from an attack from her MS. My Dad was pulling our travel trailer up to the farm with the suburban and I was following my Dad in my pickup. We were driving through Houston during traffic, which was stressful enough, but to make matters worse, Dad was pulling a trailer and trying to look after Mom. So there we are on I-45 and I see my Dad put his blinker on to change lanes and no one was letting him over. I was a few car lengths behind and could get over easily so I got over and then made my way up to my Dad and blocked for him. When we got to where we were going my Dad took me aside and told me how proud he was of me for blocking traffic for him and that he was impressed because he knew that he had not taught me how to block. I didn’t realize I had done something good until my Dad told me and I have to say it was a good feeling.

This past Sunday evening after services we had a youth devotional at our home. One of our teens brought her little sister (4th grader) and little brother (4 years old) with her to the devotional. All together we had 5 teens and 2 younger children as guests in our home. After the devotional we were going to eat and it was decided that the two younger children would eat with Emma in the dining room and the teens could eat wherever they chose to. I sat down in the dining room with Emma and the two younger children and before I knew it all of the teenagers were sitting in there with us. Emma and the two younger children were so excited that the “big kids” wanted to spend some time with them. The teenagers had done something really good without even realizing it and my heart was full.

Matthew 19:13-15

13 Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 15 When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

My teenagers, without knowing it, were doing exactly what the disciples couldn’t do. My teenagers were living the example that Jesus set out for them in scripture. They didn’t make a big show of it, they didn’t do it because they had to, they did it because they wanted to and that’s exactly how we should be living our lives.

Sometimes you can do something good without even realizing it, but you can also do something bad without even realizing it too. Let’s make sure we are doing good things today and let’s make sure when we make mistakes to do our best to make them right. Thank you all for the blessing you are in my life. I hope these words have blessed you today.

Be Strong and Courageous,

Paul

No comments: