Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mission Field Memories

Good Morning Everyone,

As I sat at my desk this morning enjoying my Diet Dr. Pepper (I know, I know but something had to give) and enjoying a snack I was trying to think of what scripture to share with my teens via text message when I came across this one.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. 1 Corinthians 10:24

What a great charge from our brother Paul!! I immediately sent this as a text to my teens with the instructions to lift up Jesus to someone today. As I was texting this message to my teens I was reminded of my own teenage years and the brief weeks I spent on the mission field.

When I was 16 years old I went on my first mission trip to the small Caribbean island of Dominica. My days were spent walking up and down the hills, knocking doors, helping with VBS and sharing the Gospel message with anyone who would listen. At the end of every day our group would get together and share our experiences from the day. It wasn’t too many days into the trip when we all started using the phrase “lift up Jesus” as our battle cry.

It has been thirteen years since that first mission field experience and so many things have changed. I went to college, I began in ministry, I got married, and I even became a father. In those years I have seen and done a lot of things but I always seem to come back to those early days learning lessons on the mission field.

Today I challenge you to lift up Jesus to those around you. Don’t wait to go on a mission trip because, whether you realize it or not, you are on a mission trip every time you leave your home. I hope all of you are blessed today by these words. Thank you all for blessing me.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: