Sunday, May 4, 2008

Will the real Iron Man Please Stand Up?

Good Morning Everyone,

Well I made it out and saw Iron Man on opening day. I have to say I was really impressed with this movie. Aside from some gratuitous scenes to play up the fact Robert Downy Jr's character was a womanizer it was a great movie. The movie has a little bit of something for everyone. There is of course the action we all saw in the previews, there is an underlying love story between the two main characters and there is a great story of redemption on the part of Robert Downy Jr.

As I walked away from the theater I began to wonder what kind of role models kids have these days. Sure Iron Man saves the day but he drinks, smokes and womanizes while he does it. As a minister I want to always put forth the effort to provide for the needs of those I am ministering to. The Apostle Paul refers to this as becoming all things to all men. As a youth minister this means going to football games, school plays and concerts for the teens. This also means being available when they need someone to listen to. Above it all this means helping these teens enter into an eternal covenant relationship with Jesus Christ. As Christians I believe we all have the responsibility to provide heroes for our kids that they can look up to. Ultimately that hero needs to be Jesus Christ. He left the right hand of God to come and live the life of a human and to give his life as ransom for us.

While I believe Christ to be the ultimate role model I also believe we need Earthly role models to look up to. Today I want to issue a challenge to all who read this blog. I want you to tell me who the "Iron Man" or "Iron Woman" is in your life. I want to know who you turn to when the chips are down. I want to know who you want to be like when you grow up (you may be grown and still aspire to this one).

I know you expect me to give you my answer right away but I am going to make you all work for it a little bit. I want to hear from some of you before I show you my hand on this one. You may e-mail your answers to pmc01hu@yahoo.com . I hope you have been blessed this morning and I hope you know that if anyone deserves to be called an "Iron Man" it is Jesus Christ who gave his life for you.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: