Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Proverbs 11,12,13,14 and 15

Good Evening Everyone,

Busy, busy, busy that describes my life the past few days. I won't bore you with all of the details but needless to say I haven't been able to blog like I would want to over the past few days. If I can say anything about the past few days I would like to thank the fellow ministers in the area I work with. The men in this area are committed to living out the Godly example presented in Scripture and I am proud to work with them. Well we've got some catch up to do so let's get to work.

Proverbs 11

Proverbs 11:3
3 The integrity of the upright guides them,
but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity

Integrity is a commodity in this day and time. Long gone are the days when you could always take someone at their word and a handshake. This is a sad commentary on the world that we live in because it was never intended to be what it has become. I believe as God's people we need to look, act, and talk differently than the people who live in the world around us. This doesn't mean we act superior or better than anyone, rather, it means we live a life that looks like God.

Proverbs 11:5
5 The righteousness of the blameless makes their paths straight,
but the wicked are brought down by their own wickedness.

You've seen this play out on the silver screen more times than I can count. The evil protagonist in the movie looks smooth and talks even smoother, there plan works seamlessly and then the hero sweeps in and stops everything dead in its tracks. Hollywood has stolen their best ideas from the Bible and it would seem that Tinsel Town has spent plenty of time in Proverbs. I read this passage and I rejoice because I can see a lot of wickedness in the world. This passage gives me hope that the people who are hurting other people will have their justice someday and that the people who are seeking to be righteous have nothing to fear.

Proverbs 11:9
9 With their mouths the godless destroy their neighbors,
but through knowledge the righteous escape.

We live in a world that contains weapons of mass destruction. With the push of a button nations can fire upon other nations and the world as we know it can be devastated. Every weapon in our arsenal cannot do the damage to a person that sarcastic or callous word can do. The ministers I spoke of early in my post are good friends of mine because they cause me to think critically on a number of subjects. One of the subjects we spend a great time on is why the Church of today is facing the troubles that it is. We always come back to the fact that our troubles would be greatly reduced if people would just love each other like the Bible says to do. If people would stop using their words to tear down and begin using them to build up then we could be unstoppable.

Proverbs 11:16
16 A kindhearted woman gains honor,
but ruthless men gain only wealth.

The old saying goes "you never see a u-haul behind a hearse". It's something that is said that we kind of chuckle at but when you think about it I think you would agree the statement is pretty true. While we agree that the statement is true we don't always live like it. We go out and buy things we don't need, we have gym memberships that go unused and we try to buy the affection of people by figuring out the things they want and buying them for them. This passage is a reality check for me and I hope that I am gaining honor more than wealth.

Proverbs 12

Proverbs 12:1
1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but whoever hates correction is stupid.

About a year ago April and I went over to our friend Kevin and Laura Odom's home for a meal. I was having a conversation with Kevin where I referred to something as stupid. Immediately all three of the Odom girls reminded me that stupid was a bad word. Stupid is not a nice word but in this passage I believe it is appropriately used. I have never felt more stupid than the times I have rejected someone trying to do something for my own good. I look back on those times and I feel guilty and ashamed but I also feel uplifted because I know I have a God who loves me and forgives me.

Proverbs 12:7
7 The wicked are overthrown and are no more,
but the house of the righteous stands firm.

Every Sunday morning at Pearland I have the privilege of singing a song with the children of our congregation. One of my favorite ones to sing with them is "The Wise Man Built His House On The Rock" because I believe it communicates such a good message. Let's all strive to be righteous and stand firm.

Proverbs 13

Proverbs 13:4
4 A sluggard’s appetite is never filled,
but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.

When I was a kid we always looked forward to going to the ranch and helping Pap-paw work the cows every year. One of the greatest parts about this annual event was the big lunch we got to eat afterwards. The ladies would spend all day in the kitchen cooking meals that would make Paula Dean jealous. The food tasted so goo because it was prepared with love but more than that it tasted so good because we had all worked so hard. I appreciate hard work and diligence and I believe whenever possible we need to practice these qualities and help instill them in others.

Proverbs 13:10
10 Where there is strife, there is pride,
but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

I like advice, I really do, but I don't always listen to the advice that is shared with me. Sometimes I just have to do things my way and most of the time I would have been better off taking the advice.

Proverbs 14

Proverbs 14:23
23 All hard work brings a profit,
but mere talk leads only to poverty.

"All we ever do is talk". If you've ever been in a leadership position either in the private sector or in the Church at some point you have the feeling that all that ever happens is talk. Sometimes this is true but a lot of the time people use this an excuse for being upset about not getting their way. When it comes to seeking the lost in the World I definitely believe that actions speak louder than words. Let's quit talking and work hard.

Proverbs 15

Proverbs 15:1

1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,

but a harsh word stirs up anger.


Have you ever seen the movie "You've Got Mail"? There is a scene in this movie where Meg Ryan laments the fact that she always thinks of the perfect thing to say after the person has left and at one point in the movie she actually does say the perfect zinger to someone and she feels bad afterwards. I feel like most of the time when we think we are being cute or funny that we probably end up just feeling bad because we have upset someone else. It is my prayer that our words will bring people up and never stir up anger.

Thanks for sticking with me on this journey and I'm sorry we had to cover so many miles in one day. I hope you are all blessed by Proverbs.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: