Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Proverbs 8

Good Morning Everyone,

I had the best day yesterday! I got to eat lunch with out seniors group the Golden Agers. I fixed my special Dr. Pepper baked beans which were a huge hit. The day was capped off with a visit from my parents where they got to see Emma eat some yummy squash and pears with her cereal.

Recently at a leadership retreat for the area teens we had a panel discussion where the teens were encouraged to ask questions about leadership. One of the young men there ,whom I have known since he was a little boy, was trying to understand how deal with the loss of his Grandfather who was a great leader. His exact question was "How do you replace my grandpa who was a great leader?", my heart broke at that moment because I remember the young man's grandfather and the great leader he was. I did my best to answer his question because I wanted to bring him comfort. I conveyed to the young man that you can never replace a person because each person is unique and made up of their own life experiences. I shared with the young man that the best thing he could do was to honor the memory of his Grandfather by learning the lessons from his life and to spend a life loving God because that is the way his Grandfather lived his life.

Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had shared this passage from Proverbs with him. Today we find ourselves in Proverbs Chapter 8.

Proverbs 8

Proverbs 8:32-36
32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
watching daily at my doors,
waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
and receive favor from the LORD.
36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
all who hate me love death.”
The Grandfather this young man seeks to honor understood and lived this passage out in his life. I have a special place in my heart for young men who love their Grandfathers because I loved both of mine very much. I know that in your life there has been that one special person whom you respected as a leader and friend that is gone now. I also know that in your life you have wondered how you can honor that person. I suggest you read this passage from Proverbs and apply it in your life. I hope you are all enjoying the journey.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: