Friday, March 4, 2011

Proverbs 4

Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday evening April and I were blessed to spend some time with our good friends Jeremy and Heather Brown. Jeremy and Heather welcomed their newest addition Everett Colson into this world this past Sunday. Everett is a cute little guy an we enjoyed our time with the Browns last night. I have been enjoying the positive feedback on the journey we are all taking together through the book of Proverbs.

Proverbs 4

Proverbs 4:7
7 The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

I look around my home and I see all of the possession I have. We have a living room full of furniture that we were blessed to have donated to us when we lived in California, we have a television that we bought after saving up our money and we have a coffee table that has been in April's family for a number of years. I look at all of these things and and then I look at this passage that tells me wisdom will cost all that I have. I wonder if I truly would give up all I had to gain wisdom? I feel that I have some wisdom but I know that there is more out there and I hope when the chance comes to gain more I hope I recognize it and take it.

Proverbs 4:24
24 Keep your mouth free of perversity;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

It would seem that perversity and corrupt talk are commonplace today. There were times when these things were reserved for politics and printed fiction but now they can be found anywhere and everywhere. These things are even found in our congregations today and that is truly sad. Proverbs teaches us how to live a life that glorifies God but Proverbs is just like any other teacher. You have to listen and apply what is being taught for the lessons to matter at all in your life.

I am glad I am taking this journey, more than that I am glad you are my traveling companions on this journey, but if we don't apply the lessons we learn on this journey then there is no point on making the trip. I know the bulk of you reading this blog want you life to be changed by walking with the Lord and I know that this is just another log on your spiritual fire. I am glad I can help you along in this.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: