Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Proverbs 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Once again I have gotten behind but I really do have a good reason. The internet at the house isn't currently working and I haven't had the ability to blog lately. We had a really good weekend here in Pearland and lots of good things are happening here. I hope you are all still enjoying the journey we taking through Proverbs.

Proverbs 18

Proverbs 18:5
5 It is not good to be partial to the wicked
or to deprive the innocent of justice.

A great deal of the world's problems can be attributed to people showing partiality towards people who are dishonest. Politicians take pay offs, people take bribe money and even in our schools sometimes people are favored because of their last name. As God's people we cannot show partiality to people because that is not the example God set for us. God sent his Son and allowed him to live a life as a human and have his life taken away and by doing so he did not show partiality.

Proverbs 18:10
10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous run to it and are safe.

From time to time we all need someplace safe to go. When you are a child it is into the arms of your parents, as you get a little older hopefully it is into the arms of your spouse but even with these safety nets there are still times when you need someplace to go. I can think of no safer place to run to than the arms of God when life is confusing or you are in trouble. The best ways I know to run to God are to immerse yourself into his Word and speak with him daily in prayer.

Proverbs 18:13
13 He who answers before listening—
that is his folly and his shame.

I like to talk. I think anyone who knows me knows that I have the gift of gab and that I enjoy good stimulating conversation. My Dad always reminded me that God gave me two ears and one mouth so I should listen more and speak less. There is a lot of wisdom in those words and this Proverbs just reaffirms to me that I need to make sure I am listening more and talking less.

Proverbs 19

Proverbs 19:2
2 It is not good to have zeal without knowledge,
nor to be hasty and miss the way.

In my youth I was blessed with some talents and I enjoyed using them. I was zealous and sometimes that was a good thing but sometimes it wasn't. I am thankful to all of those people who help me learn the right time to be zealous and when to back off and allow others to serve. These lessons were not easily learned but I am grateful they were learned. I would encourage you to the kind of person to mentor to zealous young men and women and help them learn how to serve the Lord to the best of their ability.

Proverbs 19:23
23 The fear of the LORD leads to life:
Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

I've seen Sean Hannity in concert three times now and I have enjoyed him every time. One thing Sean Hannity shares with his audiences on his radio show and in his live performances is that you don't have to worry about the speeding ticket if you are not speeding. If we are living lives that are in keeping with God's will then we will be untouched by trouble.

Proverbs 20

Proverbs 20:4
4 A sluggard does not plow in season;
so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.

I shared this passage with a group of young men in the youth group the other night. When I was a senior in High School I had a project over the book "The Grapes of Wrath". I had all semester to do it and I put it off until the weekend before it was due. My whole family pitched in and helped with this project and I eventually got it done. I was acting like a sluggard and my whole family had to pay for it. I would encourage all of us to make sure we are being productive and working for everything as if working for the Lord (Colossians 3:23).

Proverbs 21

Proverbs 21:9
9 Better to live on a corner of the roof
than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

This is one of those passages that some ministers would use to make fun of their wives, I'm not one of those kinds of ministers. I am richly and eternally blessed that I live in my home with my wife who supports me and makes sure that I am taken care of in every way. To the men out there that like to poke fun at the expense of their wives I say that you need to take a good hard look at what all they do for you and consider how you talk about them.

Proverbs 22

Proverbs 22:6
6 Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Any time I study Proverbs I like to point out that this verse is not a guarantee. There have been many a good Christian man and woman who have taught their children from God's word, lived a good example for their children and prayed over them at night as they slept jut to have those very children live a life in open rebellion to the Lord. What this passage is saying is that by training your child in the ways of The Lord they will at least know what to do and will be able to make that decision when the time comes. The decision of following God or not following God is one that we all have to make for ourselves. In one of God's greatest expressions of love he chose to give us free will in whether or not we choose to love him. Wouldn't you want to do your best to ensure that your children have the best opportunity possible to grow up and serve the Lord?

Proverbs 22:17
17 Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise;
apply your heart to what I teach

I end with this passage today to remind you of the reason we are on this journey in the first place. If we are not paying attention to the wisdom found in this book then what is the point of studying? There are only nine chapters left I encourage you to remain steadfast on this journey with God and with me.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: