Monday, August 27, 2007

Who is going to carry your casket?

Good Morning,

As I sit here writing this morning I have just come from preaching the funeral of a man I never knew. As a minister this is a task that you get asked to do more times than you would like. This was the second funeral I have preached ever and this morning on top of preaching duties I was asked to be a pallbearer for a man I never knew. As I was helping carry the casket of this man to the grave I was reminded of my good friend Andrew Baker. Andrew was a sponsor for my social club in college and during pledge week he told us the story of a brother who had died suddenly and about his club brothers carrying his casket. Andrew told us that we were not joining a social club to play sports or go to club functions but to make friends who would be closer than brothers to us and who would carry our casket when our time came.

I grieve for the family of the man whose funeral I did this morning. I am sad they lost a loved one but sadder still that he did not have the kind of close friendships that would have taken care of carrying his casket this morning at his funeral. I hope this morning that you know who would be there to carry your casket at your funeral. I hope that you have good enough friends that love you enough to be there for you. If you are a member of the Lord's body I believe this would be the case for you. If you are reading this blog today and you have not yet named Christ as your savior and been baptized into his death I would encourage you to do that.

I hope as you read this today you know who would be your pallbearer if you were to die today. More than that though I hope you tell those people how much you appreciate them now while you still have the chance. I hope you are all blessed today.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thankyou sir for the good advice.