Thursday, August 2, 2007

A great man

Good Morning Everyone,

Several weeks ago I wrote to you about Willie Sandlin who passed away. This morning with a heavy heart I want to tell you about another man named Don Bell who went to be with the Lord this past Tuesday evening.

Don was an elder at the Crockett Road Church of Christ in Palestine Texas. My family helped to start the Crockett Road Church and Don served with my Pap-paw as an elder. Don was a pillar in the community of Palestine. He ran an insurance company and tried to help those who seemed helpless. Don loved the church. If Don was not at home or at his office there was a good chance you would find him at Crockett Road tending to the business of the church.

Don loved congregational singing. Nobody ever accused Don of being the best singer but he always made a joyful noise to the Lord. Don was a good husband, a loving father and a doting grandfather. The memory of Don that is burned into my memory happened December 23rd 1999.

I was staying with my Pap-paw at his house and my Mam-maw was in her last hours of life here on earth. Mam-maw's breathing had become labored and she was not responsive vocally any longer. Pap-paw was at the end of his rope and Don knocked on the door. Don came in and talked to Pap-paw and I and reminded us of the good times we had with Mam-maw. Very soon after his arrival Mam-maw went to sleep and never woke up. Don called the ambulance and stayed with us until they took Mam-maw's body away.

I know this is not the happiest memory of anyone you have probably ever heard but this story has a purpose. Ten years from now most of you will not remember who Don Bell was. But I hope that in your life there are Christians who make kind of impact on you that Don made on my family. More than that I hope that all of you reading this will seek to make an impact of the life of people you meet like Don did. Don was not the most polished person or the richest or even the most popular but he loved people and in my book at least that is worth noting.Please pray for the Bell family during this time of loss. Meet people and make a difference in their life...that is the message for today. I hope you are all blessed.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: