Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Christianity is Messy

Good Morning Everyone,

I remember as a college student hearing someone say that Christianity is messy. At the time I thought it was somewhat cliche and I figured this speaker was just trying to say something to get attention. I am now almost done with my third year in full time youth ministry and as I sit here writing this I am convinced that the words spoken by that speaker are very true.

You must be wondering why I am writing on this topic this morning, well I will tell you. Last night I was at the Big Fresno fair with April and our family. As we were walking down the midway I spotted Cedric, Cheryl, Roshell, and LaTatiana Rowe. I went and gave LaTatiana a hug like I always do when I see her only to discover the chili cheese fries she had been enjoying were now on my shirt. I intentionally wore a shirt I didn't mind getting messed up because anytime you go to a fair you never know what may end up on your clothes so I was not upset about my shirt.
My hug from LaTatiana made me begin thinking about what Christianity is all about. If I was not a Christian and a member at Woodward Park I would have never met the Rowes and never gotten that stain on my shirt. I also would have never gotten to experience the love of a family who puts God and the needs of others above their own everyday. I would have never been to Downtown Fresno to feed the homeless or gone to Firebaugh to help renovate their church building.

People tend to shy away from organized religion because they do not want the responsibility of showing up to a worship service or participate in activities. I would submit to you that people shy away from Christianity because they are afraid of getting messy. They are afraid to be involved in the lives of others to the point that they would carry someone when they are hurt or bear the burden of another. Jesus had something to say about this when he stated"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."--Matthew 11:28-30 (New International Version)

Christianity is indeed messy but the rewards from getting messy are immeasurable. As Christians we cannot be afraid to count the cost and risk getting messy in light of what is going on in our world today. I challenge you this morning to get messy. Get into the life of someone who needs you without worrying about being messy. Jesus never had fear of getting messy or ruffling feathers so if we want to look and act like Jesus we are going to have to get a little messy. I hope you are blessed today and that you are messy for the cause of Christ!!!

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: