Monday, October 15, 2007


Good Morning Everyone,

The above quote is from singer James Blunt whose song "You're Beautiful" was a hit on the pop music charts last year. I don't know about you but I like to look for God in places that you would not expect him to be. I don't know very much about James Blunt but I can assume from the lyrics and subject matter of his songs that God is not first and foremost on his mind. But I find it interesting that someone who doesn't profess a faith can make a statement with such a profound Christian message.

So often we get caught up in the pursuit of "happiness" or at least what we consider to be happiness. Happiness in our mind usually consists of having great wealth and leaving our mark on the world because of our success in business or some other venture. I am not sure how our priorities got so skewed. It breaks my heart that Christians often times choose work and money over their God. More than all of that it breaks my heart that we are modeling this for our children.

Yesterday in the teen Bible class I gave them permission to dream about some new and improved thing they would like to have. As expected I got the typical new car, new gadgets and new clothes but I was impressed by one young man who told me he wanted a new Bible. I wonder what my life would look like if I put aside my new and improved wants and addressed my need to study the Bible more and try to be a better Christian, husband, brother and son.
As much as I like James Blunt I like the way Jesus said it better

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
Matthew 6:24

Today I want you to recommit to serving God first and foremost. For you that may mean not getting some thing that you want but it also means you get everything you will need in eternity. I hope you are blessed today.

Be Strong and Courageous,
Paul

No comments: